Friday, May 13, 2011

DAY 217 - TENNIS LESSONS WITH A GREEK GOD

Day 217

Yesterday, my friend Donna convinced me to register to a tennis class with her.  A year ago, I would have probably said no... But, in my quest for happiness, I've decided to take risks, try new things and be open to new experiences.  So, I said yes!

I've played a little tennis in the past.  I even took a couple of lessons once.  My husband has always loved the sport and I think he secretly hoped I would one day be good enough to give him a challenge.  He used to make fun of the way I ran on a tennis court... Let's say he though it was little bit too clumsy- looking!

For some people, all sports come naturally.  It's as though their body has the ability to quickly understand and imitate the necessary moves for a particular sport and so they can learn and progress very fast in any given sport.  They have what is called kinsesthetic intelligence. 

I've been blessed with other types of intelligence... not that one.  But still, I like hitting a ball with a racket (when I actually get to hit it) so I figured that the class would allow me to have fun with Donna two hours a week.

When we arrived on the field, right away I noticed a man who seemed to be the instructor.  He was wearing white pants, had a tan, and had his hair slicked back with a little poneytail.  Right away, I knew I was dealing with the tennis instructor stereotype, a type of narcissistic individual who takes himself very seriously. When I asked him his name, he answered quite sternly: "I won't tell you my name in case you're not satisfied and you want to go and complain".  I thought he was joking, but then he turned around and left!

At a certain point he explained how we should stand in order to protect "our private parts": " If you don't want your DANGER ZONE to be exposed", he said showing us with his hands the 'the zone", you need to turn your feet like this.  

I couldn't stop laughing.  This guy was not trying to be funny.  He just was.  Everytime he explained some move with a deep serious look, I wanted to take my notepad out and write down what he was saying in order not to forget so I could get a good laugh later on as well.

I don't know how much I will learn with this instructor since he seems more interested in hearing himself talk than actually teaching us how to play tennis, but I'm sure I will enjoy myself.

Oh, and I finally found out his name through another student.  His name is Georges, and by the sound of his last name, he is Greek, definitely a descendant of some Ancient Divinity!!

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness

No comments: