Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 193 - CHOOSING AN EXTRA-ORDINARY LIFE!

Day 193

I’ve already written about the fact that helping others can bring happiness to an individual much more than many personal individualistic endeavours. Yet, many of us fool ourselves by believing that more money, a new car and a vacation down south is sure to lift our spirits and lead us to a better sense of well-being.

Although, it is true that, momentarily at least, those materialistic acquisitions and experiences can bring joy, nothing can compare to helping others. Helping and giving happiness to someone in need can give a real deep purpose to your life.

Since 2007, every year, CNN names 10 ordinary people who, through their extraordinary devotion and social involvement, have helped create a better world.

Last night, when I went on Facebook, I noticed my cousin Amir had posted the CNN video of one of the heroes selected by CNN for 2010. I watched it. I was touched and inspired by it, so I decided to share it with you, my readers.

The name of that hero is Narayanan Krishnan. He was born in India in 1981. He was a very prominent Chef in India, having won awards for his culinary creations in Taj Hotels, Bangalore. He was short-listed for an elite job in Switzerland when, during a visit to his family, before heading to Europe, he changed his mind. He explains: "I saw a very old man, literally eating his own human waste out of hunger. I went to the nearby hotel and asked them what was available. They had idli, which I bought and gave to the old man. Believe me, I had never seen a person eating so fast, ever. As he ate the food, his eyes were filled with tears. Those were the tears of happiness."

In 2002, Krishnan gave up his career and began cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner for 400 homeless and mentally disabled people in Madurai, India. He also provides them haircuts and shaves to give them some dignity.

Not everyone is destined to give to others in such a selfless way. However, every day we are confronted with situations that give us the opportunity to help someone in need. That story only serves as a reminder  that seizing those opportunities can make a difference in someone else's life, but also in yours!

Here is the video of Narayanan Krishnan that I'm sure you'll find as inspiring as I did.

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tears came to my eyes. Such a touching story. Thanks for sharing it with us.