Wednesday, April 20, 2011

DAY 198 - "B" HAPPY

Day 198

Doctors often prescribe B vitamins to women who suffer from pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS). The reason being that they play an important role in regulating mood and energy. Recent studies indicate that folate (vitamin B9), vitamins B6 and B12 are particularly helpful in promoting happiness.

You can choose to take vitamin supplements, always previously consulting your doctor, but you can also just eat plenty of the foods that contain these vitamins.

 Folate - Folate is important to stay alert, be happy, focus well and have a good memory.  Folate can be found in:

- Green and Leafy Vegetables (spinach, bok choy, parsley, turnip greens, mustard greens, romaine lettuce)
- Beet Root
- Sunflower Seeds
- Baked Beans
- Strawberries
- Oranges
- Calves liver
-  Lentils
- Fortified breakfast cereal

Vitamin B6 - Vitamin B6 is needed to regulate mood by boosting levels of serotonin.  People who lack B6 can be depressed and lack energy.  B6 is found in:

- Spinach
- Red Bell Peppers 
- Cooked Turnip Greens 
- Garlic 
- Cooked Yellow fin Tuna
- Cauliflower
- Bananas
- Watermelon
- Celery
- Mushrooms
- Cabbage
- Asparagus
- Broccoli

Vitamin B12 - B12 is needed for healthy brain functioning and for a healthy nervous system.   People who lack B12 are often irritable and have trouble focusing.  B12 is found in:

- Liver
- Mussels 
- Sardines 
- Oysters 
- Egg yoke
- Lean Beef

Omega 3’s have also recently been added to the list of vitamins that promote happiness. Omega 3’s can be found in most fish.


I think I’m a pretty healthy eater. However, as I was doing research on vitamins and happiness, I realized that I might have a slight deficiency in B12. I don’t like meat that much or liver and I don’t eat a lot of seafood. So, maybe a B12 supplement would be something I should consider... or I should force myself to include some of the foods that contain it.  I guess I should ask my mother for her liver stew recipe! Yummy!!!!!!!????


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness

No comments: