Sunday, April 17, 2011

DAY 195 - YOU CAN'T DO IT... OR YOU THINK YOU CAN'T????

Day 195

I’ve been jogging for more than twenty years.  I remember the first times I went out to jog.  I was really out of shape, or, maybe, I just didn’t think I could run for more than 5 minutes without being completely exhausted.  I gradually increased my time.  After 3 weeks, I was able to run for 20 minutes nonstop.  For the past 20 years, every time I went jogging, I did it for 20 or 25 minutes.  I never increased my speed or my time.  In my head, I never thought I could run for a longer time.  I have never viewed myself as being the athletic type.

As I have already written, I would like to register to a 5k or 10k run sometime in the near future.  So, in the past few weeks, I’ve been trying to increase my jogging time.  For about a week now, I’ve been running for 40 minutes at a time, sometimes feeling as though I could actually go on.

Today, as I was jogging with my brother, I realized how important, for any type of achievement, to actually deeply believe you are ABLE to do it.  My brother is the CEO of a big company.  He has been very successful in his career.  As we were jogging, I told him about my project of running a 5k or a 10 k.  He just answered that running a 10k wouldn’t be very hard, that he was sure he could do it.

My brother hasn’t worked out all winter.  He is probably not in the best of shape.  Yet, today, he jogged with me for forty minutes without any problem.    One of my brother’s biggest strengths, no matter the goal, is that he just believes he CAN do it.  It’s a mental conviction that makes him work toward his objectives without indulging in self-doubt. 

For my brother, this profound belief in his ability to achieve any goal is a natural quality.  For others, it might not be as instinctive.  As we were running and talking, I realized that it might very well be the most important element in reaching any objective.   It’s quite simple.  Believe you CAN do it, and you WILL do it.  Don’t analyse, procrastinate, hesitate or question, just believe, and take the means to get there.  Because, as it's been proven over and over again, having goals and working towards reaching them is part of a balanced and happy life.  

If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness

No comments: