Friday, April 22, 2011

DAY 200 - HAPPINESS VOX POP: SERGE MEDAWAR, MUSICIAN, CHOIR CONDUCTOR,TEACHER, COUSIN, BEST FRIEND

Day 200 

I was born on December 20th, 1967.  I have the privilege of being an Expo Baby and a Christmas Baby.  I come from a wonderful Egyptian family (my parents got married in Egypt and immigrated to Montreal in 64.)  I had the immense privilege of having my maternal grandmother live with us.  I don’t think I ever felt a stronger tie to anyone else.  Academically speaking (boring), I have an undergrad in translation, in music and a Master’s in choral conducting.  I have conducted for 20 years and taught at the McGill music faculty for 9 years.  Currently, I teach piano and French at home, privately.  I am loving this ‘self-made’ career!  I am a single gay man, don’t have any kids of my own, but have about 30 kids in my life… and they bring me the most happiness, on a daily basis!
 
 
What is happiness for you?

Happiness just means being happy, which means not feeling any anxiety, any regrets, any guilt, any fear, any hatred, any anger.  Basically, my definition of happiness is the riddance of  those unhealthy emotions in the present moment.  Key words are: IN THE PRESENT MOMENT.  This can explain why I live very much in the present (except when I start having anxiety about the future!) Don’t ask me what I’m doing tomorrow.  Other than my work schedule, I NEVER know!  I like to believe destiny will bring me happy surprises (like a Lindt chocolate bunny?)
 
 
Has your profession impacted your level and your vision of happiness? If yes, how?

My profession has not impacted my level or vision of happiness.  My profession is an INTEGRAL part of my happiness.  I’ve had past experiences with jobs that didn’t feel quite right, or working in an environment that didn’t seem healthy or friendly.  It is hell for me to  do something that feels wrong.  My body reacts very strongly.  So, to answer your question, my profession has not impacted my vision or level of happiness.  I’ve brought happiness to my profession, in order to remain happy as soon as I wake up right up until I go to sleep.
 
 
Has your vision of happiness greatly changed through time?
 
No, it hasn’t.  Happiness has always been for me an emotion in the present moment, whether I be with my friends, my family, at my piano, with my students, cooking, memories of spending afternoons with my grandmother, holding her hand and kissing her forehead and hugging her.
 

Do you believe you have control on your level of happiness?

I believe some people have a personality which allows them to be more carefree than others.  I don’t like it when people tell other people, ‘Well, it’s up to you to choose between happiness and unhappiness.’  Unhappy people need not be judged or advised.  They just need to be heard and cared for.  They’ll control their level of happiness when they’re good and ready!
 
 
What do you do to change your mood when you’re not feeling so great?
 
When I feel anxious, I go for a walk, a bike ride, I cook, I play piano, I go see friends or have them over.  Oh!  And I call my mom to tell her I’m not feeling so hot.  She's a great listener.  She doesn't judge or try to tell me what to do.  But when I'm sad, for example when my grandmother passed away, I don't feel like I should do anything special to get rid of that feeling.  Sadness does not cancel out my happiness.  Anxiety does.
 

On the whole, would you say you are a happy person?

I am very happy (in the present moment).


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group:  500daystohappiness





1 comment:

dcmarvel said...

i love this man! thanks for sharing your happiness ...