Friday, December 3, 2010

DAY 76 - A LITTLE PIECE OF HAPPINESS


Day 76

After I wrote about the positive impact of dark chocolate on the mood, I went to the store and bought a big box of dark chocolate.  I have chocolate in my car, at home and at work.  You never know when you’re going to need a little boost of happiness.

I now take the time to savor mindfully one piece of chocolate a day.  I do not allow myself to indulge too much in it.  I practice, as many Ancient Greeks philosophers recommended, moderation.   So everyday, at around 10 am, I eat a little piece of happiness. 

The incredible thing about this new habit is not only the pleasure it provides me, but the fact that it enables me to share my happiness.  I very often give out little pieces of happiness to my colleagues.  During the brief conversations we have around that delightful treat, there always seems to be lots of laughter.  People love chocolate and the mere view of it is sometimes enough to lift their spirit.

My students are also benefiting from that new purchase.  Every time we play a game, I offer the winner a chocolate bar.  It increases their motivation and desire to do well, and the winner always comes out of class with a gigantic smile.

Yesterday, as I was leaving school, I met my boss.  He seemed a little preoccupied.  I opened my glove compartment, took a chocolate and handed him a bar of happiness.  His face lit up and I saw that for a brief moment, he was happy.

Purchasing a whole box of chocolate was designed to bring me happiness.  In the end, what has brought me the most happiness is being able to share that happiness with others. 

No comments: