Saturday, December 11, 2010

DAY 84 - INSPIRATION

Day 84

Finding a subject every single day for my blog is very challenging.  Often, while my students are working on a project in class, I’ll sit back and and observe my surroundings to try to find inspiration.  In my classroom, there is a series of Magritte's  paintings, the most famous ones, the one of men in hats. 

Two of Magritte's Paintings
I’ll sometimes look at them and brain storm: “ birds, sky, identity, freedom”.  And then I’ll ask myself: “How does identity affect us?  I wonder if Magritte was happy?”  Then I’ll turn my eyes and look out the window: “snow, cold, winter, ice, Christmas… I’ll definitely have to write a post or two on Christmas”.

I’ll then gaze at my students again: “studying, learning, Colombia, Algeria, politics, justice”.  Most of the times, I’ll then jot down some ideas.   After writing a small list of topics, I’ll stop and look up again to try and choose the one idea that I will develop on that day.  It never really works.  

In fact, in general, the one idea, the chosen one will pop into my head at the strangest moment.  It is actually when I’m not thinking about it anymore, when I have let go of the desire to try to find it that it will appear to me out of nowhere like a jack in the box.  And when it does, my heart starts racing with excitement and joy, as though I have discovered the key to a locked treasure. I’ll start creating sentences in my head, mentally structuring my text, erasing, rephrasing, etc.. 

When we focus too much on trying to get an idea, we often come out of the process empty handed.  It’s like when you’re trying to find the name of a film or of an actor, and you can’t, no matter how hard you try.  And then, a few hours later, when you're in the middle of a conversation with  someone about something entirely different, the name pops into your head.

The brain doesn’t like to be forced into things.  It has a life of its own.  And if you accept that, and you let go of the control, inspiration can become your joyful and faithful ally.


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group: 
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149086468462320

1 comment:

dcmarvel said...

thanks for the deconstruction of a happiness blog.. i love it!!!