Friday, December 17, 2010

DAY 90 - CHRISTMAS ANTICIPATION

DAY 90

Today is December 17th.   I am walking in my neighbourhood at night.  The streets are filled with Christmas lights.  Everywhere you look, there are trees, angels, stars and snowmen sparkling, glittering with colourful lights.  I’ve been here before.  In fact, I have been coming here ever since I can remember.  I recognize the smell, the freshness of the air, the peacefulness of the silence and the beauty of the scenery.  I feel an immense joy, yet I also feel melancholy.  Christmastime has always held this strange mix of feelings for me.   

Last weekend, we bought our Christmas tree.  Now, our house smells like the deep of the woods.  The children sit in front of all the shimmering lights every day and ask us how many days are left before Christmas.  They can’t wait for that precious day to finally arrive.

Last Thursday, I went to my parent’s house and my mother, my sister-in-law and I sat down for hours making traditional Egyptian cookies.  My parents’ house has now turned into a Christmas wonderland.  In the basement of their house, they’ve created a gigantic village with lights, a carousel, a church and houses, and with a train going around it all.  They have a big Santa singing Jingle Bells and a huge snowman that sounds like Frank Sinatra singing White Christmas. 

The build-up to Christmas is as intense as ever. I’m enjoying every moment of it, soaking up all the magic around.  I know that all that anticipation is the best part of Christmas, because as soon as Christmas will come, it will be gone, and all that will remain is a vague memory of yet another wonderful Christmastime spent eating, eating and eating again, delicious homemade, specialties in delightful company.



If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group: 
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149086468462320

No comments: