Tuesday, December 7, 2010

DAY 80 - TWO PERCEPTIONS; ONE REALITY

Day 80

WINTER NIGHTMARE
When I woke up this morning, I looked out my window and right away I got irritated.  The wind was blowing hard, more than a foot of snow had accumulated in front of my house; my car was submerged by a mountain of ice.  The snowplow had passed and left a gigantic bank next to my car.  I hate winter.  I hate the cold.  I would like to hibernate or move to a warmer country.  Why did my parents choose to immigrate to Canada?  Couldn’t they have chosen a place next to the sea with a warmer climate?   Today’s the first big snow storm of the year.    For the next six months, I will have to struggle against the cold every time I walk my kids to school.  I will have to shovel snow and suffer backaches.  Whenever I walk, I will have to endure the wind blowing on my face and freezing my eyelashes.  Every time I’ll get out of my house, I will be reminded that Mother Nature spares no one in this country, not even those who have Egyptian blood traveling through their veins and cannot acclimatize to Nordic weather.

WINTER TALE
When I woke up this morning, I looked out the window and the beautiful scenery amazed me.  Everything was covered with white velvet, sparkling light in the darkness of the early morning.  The wind was blowing, as if gently singing a cheerful melody: winter is here, come and dance with me.  I love winter.  I love the purity of the air caressing my face.     I’m so glad my parents chose to immigrate to Canada.   Here, we have the chance of experiencing the beauty of all four seasons.   Today’s the first big snow storm of the year.    For the next six months,  I will get reenergized by the cool breeze whenever I walk my children to school.  I will be able to skate, ski, slide and build gigantic snowmen with my children, creating unforgettable memories.   Every time I’ll get out of my house, I will be reminded that Mother Nature shows its shining diamonds every winter with the magic of falling snowflakes.  Who would have though that my Egyptian blood could find winter so precious?

There are many things we can’t control in life, but one thing we do have control over is our perception of reality.  Which vision should we adopt in order to maximize happiness?  That is the question.


If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group: 
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149086468462320

No comments: