Saturday, December 18, 2010

DAY 91 - HANDEL'S MESSIAH

Day 91

Last Monday night, I got an impromptu offer from my friend France to attend a concert of Handel's Messiah, a classic masterpiece created in the 18th century.  The concert took place at the Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal.  As soon as I walked into the church, I knew I was going to have more than a musical experience.  The amazing interior architecture of this old basilica really inspired me to sit back and enjoy a truly spiritual experience.  

Kent Nagano, the Musical Director and Maestro of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra was waltzing with his hands directing the musicians, choristers and soloists with an unbelievable grace.  When came time for the Alleluia chorus, it is a tradition for people to stand up in honor of the Lord.  Seeing this sea of people standing up and hearing the Alleluia sung with intensity by vibrant voices and energy sent shivers down my spine.

All through the evening, I went through an unbelievable journey of emotions.  Handel's Messiah brings the listener from joy to sorrow as movements unfold.  At times, I was touched and teary-eyed, at others I felt like standing up and rejoicing.

Watching a classical concert, with the solemnity it entails and the intensity it carries, can truly make you go through a unique experience.

Handel wrote the Messiah in three weeks.  Last Monday, as I was listening to a performance of this masterpiece,  I thought that this German-British Baroque composer had probably been blessed with Divine Inspiration.   And for more than 250 years,  people have had the chance to enjoy his glorious creation.



If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group: 
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149086468462320


No comments: