Monday, January 10, 2011

DAY 105 - HAPPINESS, A RELATIVE CONCEPT

Day 105

Yesterday, as I was talking on the phone with my friend Christina, I started thinking about the relativity of happiness.  First, I have to tell you that Christina has been a true support in this blog journey.  Every night, before I publish, I read her my post.  She comments, agrees, disagrees and tells me about her own opinion on the topic.

Last night, as we were, once again, discussing happiness, she told me about the fact that it would really make her happy to go out and party with me once in awhile.  We used to do it a lot more before having kids. She still sometimes goes out till the wee hours of the morning.  Her 40’s haven’t changed her love for dancing and staying out late. 

Don’t get me wrong, when the music is good, I love being on a dance floor.  But as I am getting older, more and more, I dislike the feeling I get when I go to bed late.  The next morning, I always feel crabby and I carry that feeling the whole day.  Yes, I confess, I have turned into a boring 40 year-old who prefers spending the day doing yoga and sipping organic tea than partying all night!  Who would have thought?  The fact is, I really don’t handle tiredness very well, ask my husband! 

I have been writing about what makes ME happy and brings ME joy for the past few months.  Everyone has their own definition of happiness, and perhaps some of the things that make me happy, you, the reader, cannot identify with. 

Happiness is a relative concept also in terms of quantifying it.  Although happiness economists are trying to do it, comparing different people’s wellbeing is an impossible task.  No one can really know how other people FEEL when they experience happiness.  We can only compare our own level happiness with ourselves, by measuring it up to the previous days, the previous months or the previous years.  The idea is to make happiness constantly grow by learning from the past in order to better the future.

When you think about it, there really isn’t any secret to happiness, there are only individual and personal journeys.  And It is solely by getting to know yourself and finding out what is essential and what is undesirable in YOUR own life, here and now, that you can find YOUR way to a happier life.  






If you like this post, pass it along.  To receive posts as they're being published, you can either send me an e-mail at alina500daystohappiness@hotmail.com or join the facebook group: 
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149086468462320