Sunday, January 16, 2011

DAY 111 - SINGING, TAKE 2


Day 111

Last night, we invited friends over for dinner for my cousin Chris’s birthday.  After dinner, the evening slowly moved from the dining room to the living room where my piano and guitar both lay, accumulating dust.  Chris, who plays guitar, had brought songbooks and music sheets.

Very quickly, a bunch of us gathered around him and started singing.  It was fabulous… not in terms of the quality of our singing, which would require some improvement, but in terms of the experience.  Although, we might have sometimes been looking for the right rhythm or melody, no one really cared.  We were just gathered around a guitar belting out songs we knew, being happy we were there, only focusing on the song-at-hand, being squished together in order to be all able to read the lyrics and the music, loving the feeling of connection it created.  

In a previous post, I’ve already spoken about my love for singing and how I really feel I need to make sure it is part of my life.  Perhaps incorporating it doesn’t have to be as complicated as I think.    I originally was thinking of going back to performing.  If it does happen, good, but in the meantime, I simply need to create opportunities in which I get to sing.  My friend Christina keeps talking about finding a karaoke place.  Chris always talks about organizing musical evenings. My family wants to record all our childhood songs.   It seems like people around me also want to sing, so doing it shouldn’t be all that hard!

Being active in our quest for happiness doesn’t require extensive organizational skills, it only requires the WILL to do it.  When I sent out the invitations for Chris’s birthday get together, I asked everyone to bring lyrics of songs, thinking it would be a great opportunity to get to indulge in one of my passions.   Only Chris brought music charts.  However, in the end, as soon as the first chord of “Wild World” by Cat Stevens began, people got together and began singing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is great Dina ... !