Saturday, January 22, 2011

DAY 117 - AEROSALSA

Day 117

For a couple of weeks now, I’ve been attending an aerosalsa class at the gym.  As the name indicates it, it is a class that includes salsa moves in an individual-oriented aerobic setting.  You don’t have to dance with anyone.  You’re on your own, showing what you can do with your hips and getting an amazing hour and a half workout.

The first time I attended the class, I was a little intimidated.  I had never really taken any type of salsa, so I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to follow.   However, very quickly, I was enchanted by the dynamic energy of the Afro-Canadian instructor.  He sure knows how to move and certainly doesn’t suffer from inhibition. 

As I was looking around at people in the class, I noticed everyone had a big smile on their face.  At that point, I thought: “Happiness really is contagious”.  I felt delighted and full of energy.  Latin music has that ability of lifting up your spirit and make you want to dance.

At times, during the class, I was looking at myself in the mirror, thinking:  “Wow, you can really move, girl!”  And, as I would be congratulating myself on my hip movement and my arms and feet coordination, I would lose the beat and find myself struggling to get it back. 

At other times, I simply couldn’t follow the steps.  The instructor’s feet were moving so quickly that, by the time my slow brain would process the information, he had already moved on to another step.  I must have looked very awkward, but I didn’t look in the mirror when that happened. 

In the end though, it really didn’t matter to me, how good or bad I was, I was having fun, dancing, smiling, getting a great work out and listening to upbeat music, all at the same time.   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is. He has so much rhythm and energy, I always leave his class much happier than when I walked in.