Thursday, January 27, 2011

DAY 122 - PLANNING A TRIP

DAY 122

For two years now, my brothers, my parents and I have been putting money aside to go on vacation together.  We are a total of 18 people, so finding the right vacation for such a big group could be very challenging.  Last September, we decided that this upcoming summer would be the right time to go.  We chose the south of Spain as a destination.

Since we have decided to go, I have been trying to find the perfect spot.  I love surfing the net to look for a trip.  And, with google map, it is possible to virtually walk near potential hotels and get a feel of the area.  You can also take a stroll in the surrounding villages.   Many people rather deal with a travel agent.  I find that part of the fun of going on a trip is the planning.

Sometimes when I begin browsing on the net, I have to consciously put an end to my search.  You can spend hours in front of the computer going around in circles, enjoying the ride, but, nevertheless, wasting a great amount of time.

This week, after months of looking, we finally booked our trip to the south of Spain.  We have months ahead of us to imagine how wonderful the experience is going to be.  There is a great danger in that.  The greater the expectations, the more likely your are of being disappointed.  So, I believe, the trick is probably to try and enjoy this period of anticipation as much as the trip itself. 

In the end, there is far more time left for us to think, imagine and virtually explore the south of Spain than the two weeks the trip will last!  So, I’m back on the net, visiting the Malaga region, studying the culture, discovering the history of the south of Spain.  My trip has already begun and I am enjoying it tremendously already. 

No comments: