Sunday, January 23, 2011

DAY 118 - HEALTH AND HAPPINESS WITH AYURVEDA

Day 118

Ayurveda is the oldest form of medicine.  It was born in India more than 5000 years ago.  It uses a holistic approach to health, by working simultaneously on the physical and psychological wellbeing.

Ayurveda is based on the idea of karma.  It views physical and emotional suffering as being a direct consequence of our own actions.  In return, ayurveda doctors believe that we also have the power to reverse whatever mental or physical health problem we have by rebalancing our dosha (which translates into bodily humor in Sanskrit). 

Hindus believe that balancing your dosha can also help you create more harmony in your life, principally through diet, herbs, lifestyle and exercise.

According to Ayurveda, each individual has a unique Dosha.  Doshas are categorized into three main groups of mind/body humors: vata, pitta and kapha.

Vata
Vata is the humor governed by wind or air. Vata people generally have thin frames and tire easily due to quick excitability. This dosha controls movement and the nervous system.

Pitta
Pitta people are usually of medium build and may have red hair and short tempers, as this dosha is governed by fire. Pitta can lose its balance when exposed to too much sunlight or heat.

Kapha
Kapha people tend toward stockiness and larger frames. Physically strong and resilient, kaphas have good digestion, tend to be slow eaters and talk slowly.

Dosha Combinations
Double doshas are people who have their doshas in combination, such as vata-pitta or pitta-kapha. This means that you have equal qualities of both doshas.

Online, you can find many tests that evaluate your dosha with a little questionnaire.  However, the best way to really have an ayurvedic assessment is to consult an ayurvedic doctor. 

About a year ago, I consulted one.  She evaluated my physical and psychological health, prescribed me some herbs, advised me on appropriate eating habits for my dosha, suggested I do yoga and meditation and prescribed me a head massage to help appease my nervous system.

I really enjoyed the experience and I have been following some of her guidelines.  Since then, I have been far more conscious of my habits.   

The ayurvedic approach definitely has its imperfections, but as all alternative medicines, it views the body, mind and soul as a unity, which is, I believe, the direction we should take as a society in order to maximize our well-being.

No comments: